- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 6 might come in a more affordable variant too.
- This cheaper Samsung foldable is said to launch in the second half of 2024.
- It will most likely launch alongside the Galaxy Z Fold 6 and Galaxy Z Flip 6.
A cheaper Samsung foldable phone has been rumoured for quite some time now. There have been reports on this in the past few months but we’re yet to see any renders or more reliable information. A new report now adds to this speculation saying that Samsung is indeed working on an entry-level Galaxy Z Fold 6 that is slated to launch in the second half of this year.
Cheaper Galaxy Z Fold 6 in the works
- Samsung is reportedly working on increasing its foldable phone market share in China, and to do that it’s planning to offer an entry-level Galaxy Z Fold 6. The cheaper foldable from Samsung is said to launch in the second half of 2024, according to a reportby South Korean publication The Elec.
- In Q3 2023, Samsung ranked third in foldable phone shipments in China with 19 percent. The report adds that an entry-level Galaxy Z Fold 6 will help Samsung expand its smart home lineup influence in China as well.
- The reason behind choosing to make a cheaper Fold than Flip is because the latter’s shipments are already ahead. Another reason is the Galaxy Z Fold offering more real estate with its foldable design than the Flip.
- Since the launch timeline is predicted to be during the second half of 2024, the cheaper Galaxy Z Fold 6 will most likely launch at the July-August Unpacked event. We would be getting three foldables in total then including the Galaxy Z Fold 6 and Galaxy Z Flip 6.
Samsung was earlier rumoured of working on a ‘Galaxy Z FE’, which would also be a more affordable foldable. This would also be the first foldable to join the Galaxy FE (Fan Edition) lineup. With more reports coming up on a cheaper Samsung foldable, we might just see on later this year.
Samsung launched the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Galaxy Z Flip 5 in August this year. The foldables come with the usual incremental upgrades but the Flip now offers a larger cover display from 1.9 inches to 3.4 inches. This was a much-needed upgrade from Samsung, and we might see an even larger screen next year according to a tipster.
Samsung 2024 foldables to come with larger displays
- The Galaxy Z Fold 6 and Galaxy Z Flip 6 will come with larger displays than the previous models, according to tipster Ross Young, who is also the co-founder and CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC). This is for the cover display and the main display inside as well.
- The tipster adds that the Galaxy Z Flip 6 cover display could be 3.6 inches. For context, the Galaxy Z Flip 5 has a 3.4-inch cover display. There are no specific details on the Galaxy Z Fold 6’s cover display.
- A bigger cover display makes sense for the Galaxy Z Flip 6 as it would allow for more functionalities without having to open the phone. Competing brands like Motorola and OPPO already offer highly useful cover displays on their Flip phones, and are expected to get better with the next-gen foldables. But seeing how Samsung has been slow with upgrades on its foldable lineup, it’s interesting to see whether they actually make the jump.
- The Galaxy Z Flip 6 is also tipped to come with upgrades in the camera department. Samsung has reportedly started testing Galaxy Z Flip 6 prototype models with a 50MP primary camera. This would be a major upgrade over the Galaxy Z Flip 5’s 12MP camera.
- We might also see cheaper foldables from Samsungnext year. There’s a ‘Galaxy Z FE’ in the works that will be a lighter version of either the Flip or Fold. Since it will be an FE model, the specs and features will be toned down from the flagship lineup. But this is all speculation for now, and we’re yet to see more about a possible FE foldable.
· Key Specs
· Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5
· Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 | 12 GBProcessor
· 7.6 inches (19.3 cm)Display
· 50 MP + 12 MP + 10 MPRear camera
· 10 MP + 4 MPSelfie camera
· 4400 mAhBattery